Apple cider vinegar has recently become among the most popular ingredient in various detox and weight loss drinks, and numerous studies have confirmed that it is one of the most versatile natural remedies.
Apple cider vinegar is made by squeezing the juice from apples, then adding bacteria and yeast to trigger a process of fermentation, which will, in turn, convert sugars in the apple juice to alcohol.
Many of its health benefits are believed to be due to the acetic acid it contains, but it is also a rich source of antioxidants, amino acids, and potassium.
However, experts claim that we should opt for organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar types that still contain “the mother”, or the murky substance on the bottom of the bottle, as it is a clear sign that the product is of the highest quality.
Here are 5 of the most important benefits of apple cider vinegar:
1. Detox- The consumption of apple cider vinegar diluted in water every morning detoxifies the body and improves the function of the liver and kidneys.
2. Blood sugar-- It slows down the gastric emptying or the rate at which the stomach releases its contents into the lower digestive tract. In this way, sugar enters the bloodstream slowly, which keeps blood sugar lower and prevents sugar spikes.
3. Cholesterol- Researchers have discovered that the consumption of 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar twice daily by people with high blood lipids had significantly lower levels of total cholesterol, triglycerides, and LDL after eight weeks.
4. Weight loss- The consumption of apple cider vinegar with meals has been found to lead to satiety and reduces the number of calories consumed throughout the rest of the day.
It also lowers body weight, by stimulating fat loss, reducing the Body Mass Index (BMI), and waist circumference.
5. Polycystic ovarian syndrome- It is often linked to blood sugar issues, and since apple cider vinegar regulates blood glucose levels, it also improves this condition.
Studies have shown that women who drank a tablespoon of APPLE CIDER VINEGAR daily for up to 110 days became able to ovulate and had more normal periods, and better insulin sensitivity.
However, before using it, you need to know that apple cider vinegar should never be consumed undiluted, as it might burn the esophagus.
Since apple cider vinegar is rich in acid, some people might also experience upset stomach or other digestive problems after consuming it. Also, its acidity might damage the tooth enamel.
Instead, you should add a tablespoon to 8 ounces of water. You can sweeten it by adding a teaspoon of honey, or mix it with some juice, like apple or grape juice.
Also, you can add some cinnamon to some boiled water, and add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of honey to it, and drink the tea. Additionally, you can add apple cider vinegar to your marinades, dips, and salad dressings.
Here are some interesting ways to incorporate it into your daily diet:
- Poached eggs
Splash some apple cider vinegar into your poaching water instead of the normal vinegar.
- Smoothies and juices
Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to your smoothies and juices with greens and berries
- Tahini ACV salad dressing
Mix apple cider vinegar, tahini, lemon, garlic, and olive oil and make this simple dressing that goes great in many dishes.
- Asian Miso dressing for salads and marinades
If you are preparing vegan quinoa sushi rolls or roasted salmon, spice them up by mixing miso paste, honey, soya sauce and apple cider vinegar.
- Braised red cabbage
The strong flavors in the red cabbage and some cinnamon will mask the taste of apple cider vinegar. You can also add it to Kale and Seaweed salad.
- Citrus sauce
Mix soy, lime ginger, honey and apple cider vinegar, and use this sauce for fish or salads.
- Morning honey and APPLE CIDER VINEGAR health tonic
Add 1-3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to warm water and drink about half an hour before the breakfast.
- Turmeric lemon, ginger, and APPLE CIDER VINEGAR tea
Add ginger, turmeric, half a lemon and add 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a teapot with warm water.
- Basic soy broth with tofu, veg and ACV
This recipe is excellent in itself as well as a base for soups. It contains no added fat since we dry fry and then steam fry. You can then add fresh veggies and protein like fish at the end of cooking.
- Homemade ketchup
You can simply add apple cider vinegar to any tomato sauce or salsa you consume, or mix apple cider vinegar, tomato paste, onion powder/oregano, maple syrup, and salt to prepare your tasty, homemade ketchup.
Despite using it internally, apple cider vinegar can also be used as a household cleaning agent, garden product, and a natural way to improve skin and hair health:
- Mix apple cider vinegar with water in equal amounts and use the mixture as a skin toner, to balance the pH of the skin, and prevent acne;
- Add half a cup of apple cider vinegar to 4 cups of water, and apply the mixture on areas affected by sunburns or bug bites;
- It contains alpha-hydroxy acid, which keeps the skin firm, fresh and helps it renew itself. Mix apple cider vinegar with water in equal amounts, dip a cotton ball or pad into it and then dab it onto age spots, allowing it to soak in for a few minutes, and rinse;
- It will eliminate residue from other shampoos and conditioners, boost the blood circulation to the hair follicles and speed up the hair growth process, and prevent hair loss;
- To strengthen the hair, reduce split ends, and reduce breakage, add a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar to a cup of water, and rinse the hair. Massage the scalp for a few minutes, and rinse well;
- Soak a cotton ball in some apple cider vinegar, and apply it on warts. Secure with a bandage, and repeat daily until they come off;
- Add a cup of apple cider vinegar to a gallon of water and pour it over the soil in your garden, if you need to make it more acidic for your plants;
- Use apple cider vinegar as a fertilizer to maintain your plants healthy. Just add 10 ounces of it into a 10-gallon bucket, and fill the remainder with water, and using a spray bottle or a watering can, pour the mixture onto the soil and around the roots;
- Pour in two cups of undiluted apple cider vinegar in the toilet bowl and leave it to act overnight, to clean the stubborn stains and disinfect it.