Negative thoughts have the power to destroy your life. Simple as that. Negative thinking will make you depressed, anxious and panicked. It’s about time to break the pattern of negative thinking. You need a little effort to make your life better.
12 ways to overcome negative thinking
1. See the good in life
Look for good things in life, and good will happen to you. We are usually focused on the bad things in life. Here’s how to do this:
- Appreciate your taste of food or drinks
- Take note of things you like in life
- Go out and look for things you like
2. Have your time for negative thoughts
Fighting negative thoughts is a challenge. Keeping them at a tiny corner of your brain and ignoring them will only make things worse.
Spend some time thinking of all the negativity in your life. You need about 10 minutes for this.
Every morning, ignore your negative thought and wait for those 10 minutes. This method will help you phase out negative thinking.
3. Try new habits and skills
Change the way you think about negativity. Form new habits to cope with it. New skills and hobbies will help you work things out. You can do the following:
- Take dancing or cooking classes or do something that makes you happy
- Do you have a bucket list?
- Do something with a friend
- Try new recipes or go to the crafts store and find something nice
4. Take responsibility
Do you often say the following?
- I didn’t do it
- I didn’t know it
- I was stressed out, and that’s why I did it
- I can’t change anything
- There are no options left
Well it’s about time to take control over your life. Take responsibility for your decisions and actions.
5. Replace negativity
You may need some time to do this, but you will succeed in replacing your negative thought with positivity. Here are a few steps to help you in the process:
- Take note of when negativity strikes
- Decide that you don’t like this pattern and accept the willingness to change it
- Figure out the ways to change the pattern
- Replace the thoughts to match your goals from step 3
6. Practice gratitude
Being grateful will help you become more positive. Gratitude has great impact on your mental and physical health.
Write down 3 things that make you grateful. This may be an event or a small gesture. This will help you survive bad days.
Be grateful for your health, food, water, electricity, gas, home, friends, family, pets, books…
7. Separate yourself from factors that boost your negativity
We are all surrounded by negativity. Here’s how to separate yourself from it.
- Social media
Is your newsfeed full of negative thoughts and people who complain all the time? Unfollow and unfriend anyone who makes you feel bad about yourself.
News are usually full of bad events, tragedies and problems. Stay informed but and read the bad news later in the day. Don’t do it in the morning.
Negative people make you feel terrible. Cut these ties and spend more time with positive people.
8. A silver lining
There’s a silver lining in every dark cloud. Every time you get trapped in the middle of a problem, try to find the silver lining.
- What can I change to prevent this?
- How would I treat others in a similar situation?
- What’s the positive side of this problem?
- What did I learn?
9. Do positive affirmations
- Be positive about yourself and all your qualities.
- You are intelligent and capable.
- You are strong.
- Negativity can’t control your life.
- You are positive.
- You have the strength to overcome this.
10. Express yourself
- Find someone to talk to. This will help you overcome negative thoughts.
- Talk to a friend or relative. Go to an appointment with a mental health professional.
- Draw, write, dance, travel…
- Physical activity helps. Go for a run or work out.
- Talk to your inner self.
11. Be kind
Kindness can save the world, and it will expel negativity. Here are some cool ideas:
- Smile at others and greet them
- Hold the door open for someone you pass
- Be honest
- Give compliments
- Help someone in need
- Do favors for others
- Buy gifts
12. Be kind to yourself
This is the most important step. You have to be kind to yourself. We all make a mistake and a little kindness can go a long way. Talk to you with kindness. You are your own best friend.
Negativity is a poison, and it can kill you if you allow it. Find a way to control it. Positive thinking is everything in life. You can help yourself.