The wisdom of Rumi encourages taking a different path and freeing the mind from stress, limits, and boundaries.
Rumi was a wise scholar from Persia (Iran). His wisdom survived throughout many centuries and today it helps us understand life better.
In the 13th century, the world got to know about the Islamic scholar and Sufi mystic. Rumi turned his wisdom into poems, and we give you 13 life-changing quotes from Rumi.
The best quotes from Rumi
1. “Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”
Rumi’s thought was probably a form of lament, based on the remnants of the Mongol Empire’s conquest of Persia. The Mongols were brutal conquerors who had killed their opponents.
Rumi was a mystic whose life revolved around contemplation and self-surrender. He understood that the world can’t be changed overnight. The first step we should take is to change ourselves.
2. “The quieter you become the more you are able to hear.”
Rumi practiced Mur?qabah. In English, the word means “observation.” Mur?qabah is a type of meditation in which participants observe their spiritual heart and recognize the Ultimate truth.
Mental silence gives us profound insight, and Rumi encourages us to quiet our minds to hear the truth.
3. “The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore… Ignore those that make you fearful and sad, that degrade you back towards disease and death.”
We are focused on too many different topics. Our everyday life is stressed and Rumi’s thought is here to remind us that we really need to ignore the unimportant.
According to recent studies, there’s a bold link between your susceptibility to stress and the occurrence of diseases and death.
Negative thoughts and stress will destroy your health. Avoid darkness and negativity.
4. It’s your road, and yours alone, others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.”
We are responsible for everything that happens in our lives. We are surrounded by people who make the world a better place to live in. but, they can’t carry our burden. You influence your ultimate destiny.
5. “The wound is the place where the light enters you.”
You are present. You are part of this world. Your Presence is “Light.” Every crack in your soul actually makes room for the light to enter your soul.
The great Rumi was probably thinking of this when he spoke the words of wisdom.
6. “Inside you, there’s an artist you don’t know about.”
Quiet your minds and heart. Listen to the artist inside you and avoid stress. Let the kid inside you talk. It will take you places you know nothing about.
Stress shuts down your brilliance. Your racing mind silences the child inside you. The world is such a wonderful place to live in. Give it a chance.
7. “As you start to walk on the way, the way appears.”
Lao Tzu, the founder of Taoism, used similar words to express his thoughts.
“The journey of thousand miles begins with a single step.”
The path may be pretty much anything in your life. It can be your love life, career, or even spirituality. Take a step and move towards your greatness. You won’t accomplish a thing by standing in one spot.
8. “Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray.”
Your job may give you a headache. It may be the cause of your despair. Stress and frustration can easily lead to the development of a debilitating health problem.
Sadly, society is focused on money and profit. Let passion drive you throughout life. That’s when real beauty occurs.
9. “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
It’s time to take down the obstructions that block yourself and your love.
These obstructions are sometimes hidden deep inside you. Dive into your soul and change that. Break the barrier and move on with a rewired mind.
10. “The garden of the world has no limits, except in your mind.”
The mind knows no limits. Simple as that. You may think you are wired to act within the limits.
Have you ever heard of Jh?na? It’s also known as absorption meditation. In advanced stages of this meditation, meditators disconnect from all sense perceptions and report a connection to the “source.”
In other words, you are more powerful than you think.
11. “Wear gratitude like a cloak, and it will feed every corner of your life.”
Cover yourself with gratitude to improve your life and experience the ultimate wellbeing. A whitepaper from the University of California at Berkeley, gratitude is connected to “many benefits…including better physical and psychological health, increased happiness and life satisfaction, decreased materialism, and more.”
12. “You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?”
We are built to discover and create. Your creativity and magic know no limits. Society tames you down, “forcing” you to go to college and get a good job. Is retirement the ultimate prize?
That’s why most people end their lives in misery. This misery has nothing to do with money and social status.
13. “When you let go of who you are, you become who you might be.”
Do you know who you are? This question is in no way related to your name and profession. Are you just a name? Are you just a profession?
Truth is, you are much more than that. Give yourself room to expand. Let go of the small stuff. Embrace the bigger picture.