Eleanor Roosevelt once said,
“Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.”
My grandmother was the purest soul I have ever met, and the love we shared was simply endless. When I think of her, I think of warmth, hospitality, childhood, support, stories, and hugs.
The stories our grandparents told us spoke of family history and traditions, made us feel secure and provided a sense of family identity.
The element of history is one of the most important aspects grandparents provide. Since they come with a vast knowledge of life from another generation, grandparents give kids an insight into the past.
In the words of Jay Kesler:
“Young people need something stable to hang on to — a culture connection, a sense of their own past, a hope for their own future. Most of all, they need what grandparents can give them. “
Grandmothers are simply the best people we meet in our lives, and they play an especially important role in every kid’s life.
They are exceptional women- they are the best cooks, the wisest advisors, the most loyal friends, and the most caring relatives ever!
I remember my grandma telling me that she could never have imagined that she would love someone more than her actual children.
When my mother became a grandma, she agreed.
Many grandparents claim they are extremely bonded to their grandchildren, and this is probably due to several reasons:
- Grandparents have figured out their mistakes from the past, and now, being much wiser and experienced, they would do anything to be perfect for this new child in their life.
- As they age, people become less uptight, and they have no problem to disregard certain things their grandkids do, which would have never been the case with their kids.
- Grandparents no longer have to be the bad guys, as parents now have to be strict and discipline their kids. Therefore, they are now the good cops and sometimes indulge the kids.
No matter the reason, it is a fact that grandparents, especially grandmas, go above and beyond for their grandkids.
According to the findings of a study conducted by a Boston college research group, “an emotionally close relationship between grandparents and grandchildren is associated with fewer symptoms of depression for both generations.”
Caring grandmothers have inspired numerous quotes, and here are some of them:
1. “Grandmas always have time to talk and make you feel special.” – Catherine Pulsifer.
2. “A grandmother thinks of her grandchildren day and night, even when they are not with her. She will always love them more than anyone would understand.” – Karen Gibbs
3. “You are the sun, Grandma, you are the sun in my life.” – Kitty Tsui
4. “Don’t eat anything your grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food.” – Michael Pollan
5. “It is as grandmothers that our mothers come into the fullness of their grace.” – Christopher Morley.
6. “If God had intended us to follow recipes, he wouldn’t have given us grandmothers.” – Linda Henley
7. “Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you’re just a mother. The next you are all-wise and prehistoric.” – Pam Brown
8. “Grandma always made you feel she had been waiting to see just you all day and now the day was complete.” – Marcy Demaree.
9. “Grandmother-grandchild relationships are simple… Grandmas are short on criticism and long on love.” – Janet Lanese
10. “Truth be told, being a grandma is as close as we ever get to perfection. The ultimate warm sticky bun with plump raisins and nuts. Cloud nine, ten, and eleven.” – Bryna Nelson Paston.
11. “A grandma is warm hugs and sweet memories. Remembers all of your accomplishments and forget all of your mistakes.” – Barbara Cage
12. “If nothing is going well, call your grandmother.” – Italian proverb.
13. “There are grandmothers out there who would move heaven and earth for their grandchildren.” – Janice Elliott-Howard
14. “Grandmas are moms with lots of frosting.” – author unknown
15. “My grandmother would say, ‘Make sure you look good. Make sure you speak well. Make sure you remain that Southern gentleman that I’ve taught you to be.’” – Jamie Foxx.
If you are lucky enough to still have at least one grandma in your life, make sure you show her how much you love and appreciate her, and thank her for the unconditional love she has given to you.