The leading artificial sweetener known as aspartame is one of the most toxic substances in use these days. It is used in more than 4,000 products around the world and continues to be controversial.
Aspartame is one of the most tested food additives. Even though the manufacturer still claims that aspartame is not harmful to your health, the studies prove the opposite.
This product is approved for mass consumption regardless of the evidence that it has allergenic, carcinogenic, neurotoxic and metabolic properties.
You may ask yourself how this dangerous substance has not been banned yet.
Well, just look at the billions of dollars generated by the sale of aspartame and you will understand. It is all about business! The shareholders’ wealth will grow and the truth suffers equally as the health of the consumers!
Aspartame was discovered back in 1965 when James Schlatter, a chemist for G.D. Searle was developing an anti-ulcer drug. Aspartame is made up of methanol (10%), phenylalanine (50%), and aspartic acid (40%).
- Aspartic Acid
As a neurotransmitter in the brain, aspirate facilitates information from one neuron to another. Too much aspirate causes an influx of calcium into the brain cells, triggering an excessive amount of free radicals which can only kill the cells.
Causing a huge nerve cell damage, aspirate is also called “excitotoxin”. Long-term excitotoxin exposure is associated with many chronic illnesses, including memory loss, hearing loss, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, hormonal problems, ALS, dementia, hypoglycemia, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, brain lesions and neuroendocrine disorders.
Back in 1971, John Olney, neuroscientist and a popular expert on excitotoxins informed G.D. Searle that he found out that aspartic acid can cause holes in the brains of mice.
Nevertheless, Searle did not tell anything about this discovery until aspartame’s approval in 1981. In fact, this was only one of the moments of lies and deception.
This amino acid is normally found in the brain. Many human studies proved that the excessive use of aspartame can increase the phenylalanine levels in the blood, which in turn will reduce the levels of serotonin.
This will lead to depression, schizophrenia and increase your risk of seizures. According to studies conducted on rats, phenylalanine is safe for humans.
Back in 1987, Louis J. Elsas, II, M.D., Director of Medical Genetics and Professor of Pediatrics at Emory University School of Medicine stated that humans are not able to metabolize phenylalanine as efficient as rodents. This means that the results of studies conducted on rodents are not relevant.
Methanol, also known as wood alcohol, is the most controversial ingredient in aspartame. It has a low rate of excretion when it is absorbed, so it is referred to as a cumulative poison.
Methanol is oxidated to formaldehyde and formic acid in the body. This happens when methanol reaches 30 degrees C.
Formaldehyde is a product which has carcinogenic properties. It interferes with DNA replication and can cause retinal damage and birth defects.
The recommended daily limit is 7.8 mg/day, according to EPA. A 1 Liter aspartame sweetened drink has 56 mg of methanol. This is 7 times more than the EPA limit.
Methanol is related to vision problems, including, blurring of vision, obscuration of vision, misty vision, retinal damage, progressive contraction of visual fields, and blindness.