Coconut water is a highly beneficial natural drink, found in young, green coconuts.
Dr. Joseph Mercola points out:
“Many people, usually those who are not accustomed to having coconut in their diet, often refer to coconut water and coconut milk interchangeably. But these two drinks are actually different.
Coconut water is the raw, clear liquid you get when you open a fresh coconut that develops naturally in the fruit.
Coconut milk is a manufactured product, made by grating the coconut milk, adding water and squeezing out the juice. This results in a white and creamy liquid, not too different from dairy milk. It is used in many ingredients, such as curry and sauces.”
Coconut water is delicious and refreshing, and is a rich source of various nutrients, like iron, manganese, amino acids, magnesium, fiber, protein, carbs, calcium, antioxidants, vitamin B and vitamin C, micronutrients that boost immunity, and cytokines, which have powerful antithrombotic, anti-aging and anti-cancer properties.
Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH, RD, LD, says:
“Naturally refreshing, coconut water has a sweet, nutty taste. It contains easily digested carbohydrates in the form of sugar and electrolytes. Not to be confused with high-fat coconut milk or oil, coconut water is a clear liquid in the fruit’s center that is tapped from young, green coconuts.
It has fewer calories, less sodium, and more potassium than a sports drink. Ounce per ounce, most unflavored coconut water contains 5.45 calories, 1.3 grams of sugar, 61 milligrams of potassium, and 5.45 milligrams of sodium.
In comparison, Gatorade has 6.25 calories, 1.75 grams of sugar, 3.75 milligrams of potassium, and 13.75 milligrams of sodium.”
You can drink it or add it to smoothies, and it will provide a plethora of health benefits:
1. Coconut water alkalizes the body and prevents the detrimental effects of acidosis;
2. It is high in minerals and electrolytes, so it hydrates the body and prevents headaches due to dehydration;
3. It treats indigestion, gastroenteritis, stomach ache, and acid reflux;
4. The high content of cytokines nourishes the skin and prevents premature aging;
5. Coconut water is low in fat and cholesterol, boosts blood circulation, and has cardio-protective properties and lowers the risk of heart disease, strokes, and atherosclerosis;
6. It is a potent diuretic that stimulates the production of urine and treats kidney and bladder disorders;
7. It treats excessive sweating, diarrhea, and vomiting caused by dehydration;
8. It energizes the body and is especially useful as a sports drink;
9. It lowers the formation of crystals and stones in the kidneys;
10. It is low in calories and high in bioactive components that accelerate metabolism and digestion, so it helps weight loss;
11. Since it is rich in magnesium, potassium, and vitamin C, It regulates hypertension and lowers the risk of blood clots;
12. It lowers blood sugar and insulin sensitivity in diabetics;
13. It hydrates the body and prevents oxidative stress due to excessive alcohol consumption, so it relieves hangovers;
14. The high levels of calcium and magnesium relieve muscle tension and stress;
Therefore, start drinking this amazing natural drink and enjoy its refreshing taste and countless medicinal properties!