Who would say no to a handful of fresh blueberries? What is more interesting, you can grow them at home. It is a fruit that does not require much time to grow, and thrives in small places.
Blueberries provide a wide range of health properties, they are packed with antioxidants and phytonutrients. They improve memory, and have the power to prevent age-related memory loss.
Blueberries have low glycemic index, and this fruit regulates blood sugar, protects cardiovascular health, protects the retine from oxygen damages, and studies have shown it can prevent even cancer.
Blueberries will grow well only if they get enough sun, water, good soil, pruning, mulch and fertilization. It is pretty easy to plant and grow blueberries.
Moreover, they are one of the easiest berries to grow. Check the following tips and grow your own blueberries.
- Select a sunny, sheltered spot. While blueberries are tolerant of shade, better crops are obtained in the sun.
- Bushes should be planted as early in the spring as possible. If available, 1- to 3-year-old plants are a good choice. Be sure to go to a reputable nursery.
- Always use acidic soil. Its pH value should range between 4 and 5.5. Be careful about the sulfur in the soil, because high amounts of sulfur can affect its pH value and microbes.
- Blueberries grow in a short root shrub, meaning you should not place them deep into the ground.
- An inch of water per week (at least) is just enough.