If you often face difficulties to fall asleep at night, you would be happy to know that there are numerous household plants that can help you solve this problem, and purify the air in the bedroom.
These indoor plants have potent sedative effects that can lull you to sleep and relax your mind and body. They also release oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide, as part of their natural life cycle, and thus cleanse it from pollutants and toxins.
These are the top 10 plants you can keep in the bedroom:
1. Gardenias have white blooms and a pleasant smell with sedative properties. It helps the brain to relax and improves sleep quality.
2. Aloe Vera is a miraculous plant with a plethora of health benefits, and among the other medicinal properties, it cleanses the air of pollutants and helps you enjoy a restful sleep.
3. Jasmine has a soothing scent that is as calming as valium. It has lovely little white flowers and a sharply sweet scent that has sedative qualities and improves mood.
Studies have found that it reduces anxiety and improves sleep quality, and leads to greater sleep efficiency.
4. Lavender offers calming effects that soothe fussy babies and is often involved in pharmacy, phytotherapy, and aromatherapy to treat central nervous system disorders, like anxiety, stress, and sleep disorders.
5. Snake plant (Sansevieria Trifasciata) is one of the best air purifying plants according to NASA. It releases oxygen during the night and leaves the air fresh and clean.
6. English ivy plant (Hedera Helix) is also one of the plants that NASA listed as the best air purifiers. It soothes allergy symptoms and freshens the air, by removing impurities and chemicals.
7. Peace lily (Spathiphyllum) regulates the humidity in the air, and leaves it clean and fresh, by eliminating formaldehyde and benzene.
8. Gerbera daisy is ideal if you suffer from insomnia, as it increases oxygen levels in the room and creates a peaceful atmosphere for a good night rest.
9. Valerian has potent hypnotic effects that have been confirmed by numerous studies, and the inhalation of its scent has been found to heighten the activity of the brain’s GABA system, which is responsible for relaxing the body and preparing it for sleep.
It is also a potent natural way to treat insomnia and is often added to mild sedatives and sleep aids for nervous tension and insomnia.
10. Spider plant (Chlorophytum Comosum) purifies the air, eliminates formaldehyde, and improves sleep quality.
Having indoor plants in the home or office is highly beneficial, and if you keep some of these in the bedroom, you will reap countless health benefits.
First of all, they boost the quality of the air you breathe, by filtering indoor air pollutants like formaldehyde, trichloroethylene, xylene, toluene, and benzene, and these qualities have been confirmed by numerous studies, including the Clean Air Study conducted by NASA.
Moreover, these indoor plants will help you wind down after a busy and stressful day, and will drastically improve mood and boost your energy levels.
You can choose some of the 10 air purifying plants we suggested above, or do some research and find out some other possible options.
However, in order to create the perfect conditions in the bedroom in order to get the much-needed rest after a tiring day, make sure you also consider the following: regular ventilation, fresh bed linen, a comfortable mattress, and good pillows and an extra blanket if needed.