You have probably heard of the many fabulous uses of baking soda that go beyond its use in cooking. In addition to its other uses, this product can help you maintain hygiene in your home and you can also use it as a beauty product.
However, in some situations you should avoid it.
Baking soda is not an ideal solution in the following situations:
1. Do you often suffer from heartburn? In these situations baking soda is an extremely effective remedy, but you should not overuse it. If you often struggle with this contition, make sure you consult your doctor.
2. Although baking soda is a great cleaning agent, do not use to clean aluminium containers. It may trigger dangerous reactions and stains.
3. If you just place an open bag of baking soda in the fridge or pour it into a bowl, it will not be that effective in neutralizing odors. For optimal effect, sprinkle the baking soda over a platter and place it on a shelf in the fridge.
But, this means that you will have less room for the rest of the food in the fridge.
4. You probably know that you can use baking soda in situations when you struggle with burning oil. However, this is not a simple procedure. Even if you have a large amount of baking soda on hand, there is no safe distance from which you can sprinkle the soda over the pan.
Therefore, forget about this use of baking soda and obtain an efficient fire extinguisher and always have it on hand.
5. Baking soda is often used as a skin care product. However, since it is highly alkaline, experts do not recommend it in the treatment of acne. Baking soda eliminates natural acids in skin, and thus creates favorable conditions for acne spreading.
6. They may have similar function, but baking soda and baking powder does not have the same effect. Both products generate carbon dioxide in certain conditions, which provides excellent texture of baked goods.
However, baking soda reacts with acids that are already in the food. On the other hand, baking powder has its own acids. Therefore, you cannot use one of these instead of the other.