High uric acid levels in the blood, or a condition medically known as hyperuricemia, may be caused by the increased production of the acid in the body, or by the inability of the kidneys to excrete it from the body properly.
This condition can lead to numerous health issues, such as gout, which occurs when uric acid forms crystals around the joints, usually around the big toe, as well as kidney stones and renal failure.
Studies have shown that high uric acid levels can also increase the risk of hypertension and cardiovascular disease.
Fortunately, the levels of uric acid in the body can be controlled with the following natural remedies:
- Apple cider vinegar
It detoxifies the body and eliminates waste and excess uric acid. Add a teaspoon of it to a glass of water and drink it three times daily to restore the balance of alkaline and acid in the body.
- Lemon juice
Add lemon juice to a glass of warm water and drink it every morning on an empty stomach to alkalize the body
They contain chemicals, like anthocyanins, which fight inflammation, soothe stiffness, and reduce excess uric acid in the body. You should drink 1-2 cups of cherry juice daily or have half a cup of cherries for two weeks to lower your uric acid levels
They are low in purines, so their consumption will drastically lower uric acids levels
It helps the elimination of uric acid from the body and stops recurrent gout attacks
Moreover, foods rich in purines, like mussels, yeast, organ meats, anchovies, herring, gravy, and mackerel, can increase the risk of gout attacks, so limit their intake or completely avoid them.
Additionally, you can freely consume the following low-purine foods:
- Vegetables: All vegetables are beneficial in the case of gout, including potatoes, peas, mushrooms, eggplants, and dark green leafy vegetables;
- Legumes: You can enjoy lentils, beans, soybeans, and tofu;
- Fruits: All fruits are generally safe to eat, but cherries are apparently the most beneficial;
- Dairy products: All dairy products are safe, but you will benefit the most from low-fat dairy;
- Plant-based oils: You can consume canola, coconut, olive and flax oils;
- Whole grains: These include oats, brown rice, and barley;
- Nuts: Feel free to consume all kinds of seeds and nuts;
- Beverages: You can drink tea, green tea, and coffee;
- Herbs and spices: All herbs and spices are safe to consume.